Question
Posted by: Tumelo | 2009-08-07

tested positive but partner in negative

dear doc

im pregnant and yesterday tested positive for HIV while my partner tested negative. also he tested nagative on may after we found out im pregnant i called my ex who also tested negative i have not been exposed to any needles or drugs ever could you please tell me coz this is very confusing to me i havent done the elisa test yet only did the finger test plz anyone with expertise to this situation comment plz

firstly, i would advice that you do an eliza test to confirm that you're positive. if you are and you have had any previous sexual partners (apart from the 2 that tested),it is possible that you may have picked it up from them. furthermore, only believe that a person is negative once you'v seen a copy of their result. it is possible for your partner to be negative despite you being positive - this doesnot mean that he is immune to hiv - and your'l will have to use protection in future. hiv can only spread through body fluids (blood, semen,vaginal fluids etc). my advice (if you're positive) is not to dwell to much on how you got it but to focus on how you're going to fight it for your own as well as your baby's sake.