Question
Posted by: Diddie | 2009-07-02

Test for Hepatitis A

How soon can one have yourself tested for Hepatitis A? I have been in close contact with someone who started showing symptoms 5 days ago ( confirmed by medical Dr ) - can I have myself tested straight away, or must I wait for the symptoms to appear first.

Hi Diddie
the incubation period for Hepatitis A is about 4 weeks, so you can still go and get a hepatitis A vaccine or immunoglobulin - discuss with your GP. Bloodtests will only become positive 3,5 weeks after infection.

1
Posted by: Pink | 2009-07-02

This is something I would wish upon my worst enemy! When I was 17 I was in hospital for a week with Hep A.

The time between infection and the appearance of the symptoms, (the incubation period), is between two and six weeks and the average incubation period is 28 days

I think they can detect it a week or two after you got infected with a blood test.

Some symptoms to look out for:
* Influenza-like symptoms
* Fatigue
* Fever
* Abdominal pain
* Nausea
* Diarrhea
* Appetite loss
* Depression
* Jaundice, a yellowing of the skin or whites of the eyes
* Sharp pains in the right-upper quadrant of the abdomen
* Weight loss
* Itching

I really really hope you don' t have it!

Reply to Pink