Question
Posted by: sparkle | 2011/09/01

test for diabetes

Hi doc. What test can I have done to test if I am insulin resistant or have diabetes 2? I crave sugar all the time and wondering if I have a problem. Can I just go to a lab and have a test? Thanks.

Dear Sparkie
If you are on a medical aid scheme (?) then it is better to visit your gp and ask him/her to arrange for you to have the necessary blood tests done to determine if you are insulin resistant or if you have diabetes. The dr would request that a so-called Glucose Tolerance Test should be done for you. It is theoretically possible for you to contact a pathology laboratory and make your own arrangements for such blood tests, but I would strongly advise you to arrange them with the help of your doctor. Once the results are available, the dr needs to interpret them for you and if necessary, prescribe the correct medications. So see your gp and discuss this matter with him/her.
If you do suffer from insulin resistance or diabetes, it is essential to consult a registered dietitian, because the correct diet is one of the most important factors in treatment. Visit the Association for Dietetics in SA Website at: www.adsa.org.za and click on "Find a Dietitian" to find a dietitian in your area. The dietitian will take your diabetes, medications and other conditions such as overweight and raised blood lipid levels, into account when working out a diet for you, which will be based on foods with a low glycaemic index (GI). Click on 'Diet’nFood' and 'Weight loss' and 'The Glycaemic Index' and read the articles on the GI. Also click on ‘Food as Medicine' on the Diet Site and then on ‘Type 2 diabetes’. Ask your doctor what type of exercise you are allowed to do and get more active, e.g. start going for brisk walks for about 30 min every day, BUT only if your doctor gives permission. But do chat to your dr first.

1

Dear Sparkie