Question
Posted by: Mina | 2011/05/12

Territorial Spaniel

hi
We have a year old Spaniel and a 14 year old Maltese. I have have never had issues with the maltese, but since we''ve gotten the spaniel (after our other doggie died) we can hardly have any visitors. At home or in the car its just crazy. At home she''s fine with my family even to the point of being over friendly, but any stranger it''s a big no no. We have to take her to my mothers house on the days that the cleaning lady comes or when we invite people over for dinner or a braai. When driving she barks like crazy at anything that passes, but take her to the beach or for a walk and she''s just the sweetest thing. I know she sees home and car as hers, but how can we try and change these behaviours. Help please. thank you!!

Expert ImageDog Behaviour Expert

Hi Mina, it sounds like you may need more help than i can give you on a forum. What i need to know before i answer, you say thar having visitors is a big no-no - what happens? is it just the barking or is their reactive behaviour? Thanks Scotty

3
Posted by: scotty | 2011/05/13

Hi, thanks! ok this gives me better insight. What is actually happening is that your little one is reacting out of fear. When dogs are fearful they exhibit one of the 5 F''s i.e. F-fight F-flight F-fooling around F-freezne and in extremem cases F-faint!
I am busy working with a Toy Pom at the moment with exactly the same problem and after one session of behaviour modification and some TTouch, the next day the dog has shown a lot of progress - so it can easily be helped. I would suggest you get in touch with a canine behaviourist and also consider the TTouch. I cannot say enough about this wonderful modality and when it is combines with behaviour modification the results can be unbelievable. Please contact me via my e-mail or website, which you will find under my CV info and let me know where you stay and i will put you in touch with somebody that can help you resolve this poor little girls issues. Thanks Scotty

Reply to scotty
Posted by: mina | 2011/05/13

she''s very aggresive. never gone as far a biting anyone, but we usually either remove her from the room and take her outside or if it''s someone that just wants to find out something we''ll stand outside talking leaving her inside the house. if we have a visitor i''ll be either holding her cause she sits and growls the whole time because if someone just move quickly she''ll jump up barking.

Reply to mina
Posted by: Dog Behaviour Expert | 2011/05/12

Reply to Dog Behaviour Expert