Question
Posted by: Nadia | 2012-04-11

terrified of going skinny

Hi FitDoc

I am a slender and quite fit 38yr old mum, No weight issues at 55kg and 1.68m, as I gym regularly since age 24. All I have ever done is weights as aerobics etc has zero appeal for me. However a guy friend has convinced me to take up cycling, starting with spinning in the gym before I get a bike and take thiings outside. Thing is as I read up on it, I realise cycle training will send my metabolism thru the roof and take kilos off me. I have no intention of being thin - slender and toned at the very most. I in fact would prefer to weigh a tad more than I do now but I find that I develop cellulilte when I gain weight so I try and stay in the 55kg range, max 56.5. If I start cycling, which I really want to, how do I do it in such a way that my muscles wil get into superb shape - but the fat will not burn off? I do not want to be any smaller than I am. Shoudl I start lifting heavier weights to retain some sort of bulk and thus offset the cycling? The figure I ultimately want is like those girls who do fitness competitions - think Monica Brant from the old days. Not the Ms Universe girls, the fitness girls. They are not skinny at all yet still look beautifully feminine with bums to totally die for. That''s the exact look I want. Any tips? Thanks

Hi Nadi

I don't think you'll lose too much, don't worry. First of all, we don't just lose weight indefinitely. There's a limit, and our body finds an ideal weight. So it may change 1 or 2kg, but not much more. The other thing is that it may just as easily go up because you'll increase lean mass a little, particularly in the legs, and may find that you sta at 55kg, or even go up. The cellulite issue is not related to exercise- that's the storage of fat, and so that is a different kind of weight gain.

So if you gain weight through diet, then that can (and will) happen, whereas if you do it naturally by exercise, then you won't.

So I'd say give it a try, and see what happens. Don't change the weight training at the same time, but rather give it a month, and then make this call. If you feel you need it then, go for it, and yes, add the weight so that you're lifting just a little heavier, not much though. but step by step - it's impossible to guess exactly how the body will respond, but in general, you should find that you tone, maybe lose a little fat mass, but gain muscle mass. Oh and give this 3 months before you decide, the early changes can be misleading!

Ross

1
Posted by: fitnessdoc | 2012-04-22

Hi Nadi

Ross

Reply to fitnessdoc