Question
Posted by: Concerned Mom | 2010-04-14

Terrified dog

My dog is terrified of storms, an hour before the storm starts she starts getting anxious and tries to get out of the yard, and normally hurts herself, we have tried claming pills from the vet, but its getting very expensive, is there anything else we can try??

No. The pills are the cheap option the rest of the things you can try will cost you and arm and a leg.

5
Posted by: just me | 2010-04-22

My jack russell x foxy is the same. she''s an indoor dog and sleeps with me. i have been woken up many nights with a rattling dog sitting on my head. she also wants to climb to higher places when shes scared or she tries digging into the mattress, pillows, floor etc. i found that it helps if i put the light on and talk to her as medication also had no effect on her fear. we have found her on many occassions when we get home from work, stuck between the sucurity door and backdoor with scratched on her tummy from the spikes. She has climbed through louvre windows and broke it - no injury to her. It is not only the thunder storms that scares her but also crackers, the neighbours kid''s quadbike, lawnmover and edgetrimmer. Nothing really calms her down but she does like it to be near us when she''s scared.

Reply to just me
Posted by: Concerned Mom | 2010-04-19

She is allowed in the house, this mostly happens when we are at work, she chews and rips through the mesh that we have put around the house, she is really a problem child the first chance that she gets she runs away as well, and we have just moved into a house with a huge garden just so that they both have enough space to run around. She has hurt herself in the past by trying to get out, we really dont know what to do anymore, she is a small dog, a jack x.

Reply to Concerned Mom
Posted by: Cybervet | 2010-04-16

Reply to Cybervet
Posted by: Chill | 2010-04-14

You don''t need prescribed tranquillisers - valerian in some form or other will help - tincture of valerian (healthfood shop and some pharmacies) - or calmettes, or becalm tablets (same ingredients, but cost more).

You don''t say what size/breed the dog is, but if you go with the tincture, give about 15 or 20 drops, and see. You can quite safely go higher if it doesn''t work, or lower if it''s a small dog.

Reply to Chill
Posted by: Vicky | 2010-04-14

You don''t say whether your dog is allowed indoors but I had the same problem with my German Shepherd She''s gone to Doggy Heaven after 14 years) and the only solution was to allow her into the house and to let her lie at my feet wherever I went in the house. The close proximity of the rest of her " pack"  calmed her down completely and she had no problem going outside to her kennel when the storm was over.
Lots of love and closeness does wonders

Reply to Vicky