Posted by: cally | 2009-03-18

terrible pain in lower left abdomen

Hi Doc,
I have crohns, and yesterday had the runs which kept me away from work. There wasn' t much blood, and a little pus and mucous. I didn' t medicate, and just rested and left it to work itself out. I woke up this morning with an intense pain in my lower front left abdomen. It' s swollen (not too big, but noticeable) and a little hard. I' m terrified of it possibly being a toxic megacolon starting up, but at the same time I' m scared of going to the doctor because last november I was in hospital a week for the crohns, and my boss had a huge problem with me being off (even though it was legit).
Is there any way of knowing for sure, and treating it at home? I can' t take any more time off of work.

Dear Cally
A swollen tender abdomen needs urgent medical attention. If you leave it and you develop a perforated colon or abdominal sepsis, you are going to be off sick for much longer! I jokingly always ask my patients if their boss will put up a statue in the garden at work for you if you died because you were too scared to take sickleave :-)
Jokes aside, your health is much more important than your boss's feelings about your taking sickleave, or your work!