Question
Posted by: Ella | 2011/05/04

Terrible headache

Dear Doc

I hope you can advise me.
I get terrible headaches often. The pain is in my neck, base of my skull and around the top, back and sides of my head.
I think it has to do with muscle tension in my neck and shoulders and it seems to be at its worst just before my period.

I take Panado and and brufen or Norflex for the headaches, but nothing seems to help.

I am 34 with two small kids and am generally healthy.

I drink alot of water and try to eat healthily. In fact, I started a so called 5 day-cleansing-diet yesterday. (It is not a starvation diet and includes lots of fruit, vegetables and low fat proteien - diary, wheat, caffeine, alcohol and refined sugars are excluded)

This morning at 04h00 I woke up with a blinding headache. Nothing seems to make it better: I have taken panado and drank water and laid down, but it is still very very painful.

Please help!

Expert ImageHeadache expert

Dear Ella,

There is only one way to deal with the problem, and that is to have a diagnosis by experts as to where the pain is coming from. To get to the root of the problem, you need what is called a “multidisciplinary assessment”, which should include a neurological examination to rule out any serious underlying condition. There are so many different structures in the head and neck, all of which can be involved in the headache process, that no single specialist can have all the knowledge necessary to make a comprehensive assessment and diagnosis. For instance, a neurologist will examine the brain and nervous system, a physiotherapist will look at the muscles, a dentist will examine the teeth etc. For this reason, the “multidisciplinary assessment” combines and integrates the expertise of different specialists who would normally treat headache patients in isolation, into a single more comprehensive body of knowledge. This enables the different members of the team to provide a co-ordinated treatment plan, so that all the contributing factors are addressed.

This assessment must include a thorough examination of the head and neck muscles to determine the presence of abnormal tension, and of the external carotid vasculature to determine whether there is an arterial element to the pain.

Headache sufferers often have a poor Quality of Life due to the constant pain and associated symptoms. For a free assessment of how your headaches are affecting your Quality of Life, click on http://www.headacheclinic.co.za/

This information has been supplied and checked by the multidisciplinary team of specialists at The Headache Clinic, in association with The International Headache Society and the South African Institute of Headache and Migraine Science. For consultation with these specialists, call The Headache Clinic (Cape Town, Durban, Johannesburg) on 0861 678 911.

1
Posted by: Headache expert | 2011/05/04

Dear Ella,

Reply to Headache expert