Posted by: Anna | 2009-05-26

Terrible Cravings!

Hi Doc, I get these terrible cravings for chips and chocolate. I give in most of the time because I crave for hours on end. I' m not overweight but I am gaining! Please help- what pill can I take or what can I eat?

Dear Anna
Your cravings may indicate that your diet is too low in energy or contains too little carbohydrate or you may have a serotonin deficiency. I would recommend that you try eating a low-GI diet that contains sufficient carbs to boost the serotonin levels in your brain. Click on 'Diet' and 'Weight loss' and 'The Glycaemic Index' and read the articles on the GI. By including a serving of low-GI carbohydrate at every meal you should prevent your brain serotonin levels from dropping to levels that induce cravings. Other causes of cravings include learned responses, using food as a form of gratification or reward, or an inability to break a habit. If any of the latter apply in your case, try decreasing how much chocolate you eat per day - one square at a time to wean yourself of the habit. Do the same with the chips so that your body can gradually get used to not eating these high fat foods.
I hope that you can overcome your cravings

Swap chips for pretzels and go for the darker chocolate where possible if you really still need something.