Question
Posted by: Natasjha | 2011/09/12

Terrible 2 stage

Hi CyberShrink,

My toddler reached the terrible 2 stage and time out, ignoring an hidings aren't working. She cries over everything if it is not going her way, throws herself on the floor kicking screaming and crying.

I really need help - what else do I try? She is very manipulative from age 1 and always wants things her way. If not - she starts to cry non-stop and if you try to pick her up, she's kicking and screaming and hitting me.

She doesn't want her dad to do anything for her - mommy must.

Gosh, we seem to have a passal of child problems this morning ! Maybe there have been more than the usual number of fraught weekends. I do hope that the many wise and competent parents who are regular readers here, will contribute useful comments all round !
Sounds like a description of why the terrible 2's are called terrible. All kids are naturally, instinctivel manipulative. If they discover these methods WORK, they use them increasingly, and can dominate the scene. As it can also be frightening for them to find themselves in control without useful guidance from the parents, they tend to grow anxious and agitated, too.
As always, one of the key ingredients of any solution is setting clear and firm ground rules, with clear consequences for good and bad behaviour.
If kicking and screaming on the floor brings the results she wants, well, she'll kick and scream. ( So would I, if anyone would let me get away with it !) You can tell her that you'll listen to what she wants AFTER she stops the noise.

1