Question
Posted by: anon | 2008/10/20

Terribke Pain after orgasm

I get very painful period like pain after geting an orgasm. With or without penetration. This happens all the time after sex. Is there something that can hap me

Dear Anon

At the time of orgasms several physiological changes occur in the pelvis including alteration of blood flow as well as release of certain hormones/chemicals such as oxytocin and prostaglandins and also a change in the position of the uterus. All these factors may contribute towards pain if an underlying pelvic pathology exists such as endometriosis or chronic pelvic infection. It will therefore be advisable to have a thorough gynaecological evaluation done as this may also impact on your fertility potential.

Answered by: Dr. M.I. Cassim