Question
Posted by: Susie | 2008/08/21

Tension Headaches

I have an 8 hour desk job. I do not use a computer all the time to work on, yet I go home with a tension headache about 3 times a week. I can feel that the headache comes from the tension in my neck and shoulders. What can I do to prevent this?

I am also suffereing from Tinitus - for 18 months now - it is driving me insane. Is there really nothing that can cure ths problem?

Thank you.

Expert ImageArchive

Hello Susie,
I would advise you to see your nearest osteopath as the best way to resolve your headache and tinitus. For more information on osteopathy visit www.osteogoodhealth.com

In the meantime:
Ensure your chair is facing your desk and not at an angle.

Bend forward in your seat, then wiggle your bum back as far as possible. Then sit up. This position will allow for your spine to be in an optimal position and for your upper back to relax.

Keep properly hydrated. Dehydration will increase muscle tension. Avoid caffiene.

Ensure your computer is directly in front.

If you are on the phone a lot wear a headset.

Take regular cardiovascular exercise.

Don't slump on the sofa in the evening.

Get enough sleep.

Dr Guy Ashburner Osteopath