Posted by: tension_head | 2009-04-20

tension headache?

hi all

i have suffered from headaches my whole life. generally i end up taking stupid amounts of meds to solve the problem, but they always come back. it seems to me that whenever my shoulders get tense, then the tension moves up into my neck, and eventually my head and I end up with a headache that stops me in my tracks.

what im thinking is this. would going to a physio on a regular basis help with the build up of tension, resulting in less headaches??

any help would be great

Expert ImageHeadache expert

Dear Tension Head,

One of the commonest causes of headaches is muscle tension, and it sounds as though this is the most likely cause of your problem. Having said that though, one can’t be certain without a proper diagnosis. To get to the root of the problem, you need what is called a “multidisciplinary assessment”. There are so many different structures in the head and neck, all of which can be involved in the headache process, that no single specialist can have all the knowledge necessary to make a comprehensive assessment and diagnosis. For instance, a neurologist will examine the brain and nervous system, a physiotherapist will look at the muscles, a dentist will examine the teeth etc. For this reason, the “multidisciplinary assessment” combines and integrates the expertise of different specialists who would normally treat headache patients in isolation, into a single more comprehensive body of knowledge. This enables the different members of the team to provide a co-ordinated treatment plan, so that all the contributing factors are addressed.

This assessment must include a thorough examination of the head and neck muscles to determine the presence of abnormal tension, and of the external carotid vasculature to determine whether there is an arterial element to the pain.

Headache sufferers often have a poor Quality of Life due to the constant pain and associated symptoms. For a free assessment of how your headaches are affecting your Quality of Life, click on

This information has been supplied and checked by the multidisciplinary team of specialists at The Headache Clinic, in association with The International Headache Society and the South African Institute of Headache and Migraine Science. For consultation with these specialists, call The Headache Clinic (Cape Town, Durban, Johannesburg) on 0861 678 911.

stiff shoulder muscles

Goei dag

Ek het redelik baie spanning. Die afgelope maand of so het ek elke dag hoofpyn, dit begin in my nek na my hoof maar bo in die middel binne in my kop langs my linker slaap is daar ' n brand gevoel, en in die aande gaan my hande en vingers en my tone dood.
Dankie dat u my terug antwoord. Jammer vir die afrikaans