Posted by: Lyn | 2009-03-27

I have had a swollen, painful ankle on and off for about 2 years. I have just recently gone back to yoga. The pain in my ankle increased since going back to yoga and the Dr diagnosed tendonitis. I want to keep up with the yoga - any suggestions?

Hi Lyn

I'm not sure I'd accept the diagnosis blindly. Not that I think it's wrong, just that you might find that strengthening the ankle and the muscles makes it disappear. In that respect, yoga is helpful, but the key is to make sure you don't overdo it. I can only imagine (having not diagnosed anything myself) that the reason it's hurting as a result of yoga is that the ligaments and muscles are very weak and so stretching them aggravates what is already a weak situation. Therefore, you need to be aware of which moves and positions might do this and avoid them, or cut right down on them. Don't avoid them altogether, but reduce them. You can still do the rest - no need to throw out the yoga with the sore ankle, so to speak.