Question
Posted by: KB | 2009/03/16

Tender scalp,headaches,stiff neck etc

Hi Doc,

For some time I felt exhausted and not myself, my hair was falling out and I got worried.My father suffers from Hashimoto' s and underactive thyroid and so I went and got tested and I have the same thing.I am taking 0.5 eltroxin every morning since 17th Feb and havent really felt any better, yet.Also having VitB12 injections weekly (3ml). I had a sore patch on my scalp,top middle,about 3 wks ago -it wasnt red,just very tender to the touch etc.It then went away after I started using Nioxin shampoo (bought to combat the hair loss-but to be honest,more hair seems to fall out when I wash it!!).On Friday 13th I had the most awful headache,all over the top of my head,it felt like my eyes were being pushed,I felt dizzy,weak and a bit sick.Never had a headache like that before.I have also had a very stiff neck (right handside) for a long time.The past two days I have had a very tender scalp again,right side, top to bottom mid section,my glands feel a bit up, my ear is sore inside when I swallow etc and teeth sore. I have chronic sinusitis too and get frequent infections, despite using saline and irrigating my nose twice daily.I was using flixonase spray but found it irritated it more. I am at my wits end and sick of feeling sick.I cannot see an endocriniologist until 18th May, and my GP just gives me antibiotics which dont seem to do much. I hope you can help...
Many thanks,
KB

Dear KB
There seem to be something more underlying causing your symptoms - have you had a full blood count and test for diabetes? You may also have a chronic upper back spasm causing the tender scalp and headache. Maybe you should get a second opinion from another GP?

2
Posted by: KB | 2009/03/17

Hi Dr Bets,

Yes I did have a full blood count, the only thing that was a bit low was my haematocrit - 38.3...My MCV was 84.8, my basophils Abs 0.01...
Not been tested for diabetes... but will think about it.

Thanks for your help!!
KB

Reply to KB
Posted by: KB | 2009/03/16

I also forgot to mention that although I wear glasses for distance, I have found my vision has gotten distinctly worse and blurrier all of a sudden (past few weeks)...
Many thanks...
KB

Reply to KB