Posted by: debs | 2008-12-03

temporal epilepsy

hello dr bets - i did some research on the internet about this and it sounds exactly what i am experiencing. I cant believe it, explained so well. I thought i should say I also had many recurring febrile convulsions as a child, my mother told me years ago I have some kind of lesion but that it is on the frontal lobe (?) and should not affect me in any way. My question is, do I need treatment for this because it does not interfere terribly with my life. Like I said it comes and goes and although its quite an unpleasant feeling, it is over fairly quickly with no effect afterwards. Does it worsen over time? Does it affect your health/life expectancy as time goes on if untreated? I do not have medical aid and the EEG you are talking about is not possible for me to do financially.

Dear Debs
One should actually get treated as it can cause periods of "absentness" and affect your emotional wellbeing. If you go to your nearest academic hospital they will be able to refer you to a neurologist who will do all the tests, even a MRI brainscan if needed and put you on the correct medication