Question
Posted by: Angeline Hayler | 2011/06/14

Tegretol

Hi there,
my husband is epileptic, but has been controlling it with Tegretol TR since he was diagnosed. We have been living in the UK for the last three years during which time the NHS has covered his medication.

We are relocating back to South Africa in a month''s time and I believe the medication is subject to a 12 month waiting period with any medical aid scheme. What I''d like to know is
1. Can we use an NHS prescription for his medication in the meantime ?
and
2. Since he''e been on the time release version for so long, would it be irresponsible to switch to the regular version now ?

Expert ImagePharmacist

Hi Angeline

1) A South African pharmacy will require a South African prescription and you'll have to take your NHS script to any GP to have it "South-Africanised".

2) a Controlled-release (time release) version of Tegretol IS available in South-Africa. It is called TEGRETOL CR and is available in a 200 mg and 400 mg strength. Price-wise these also aren't very expensive, costing almost the same as per tablet as normal Tegretol.

1
Posted by: pharmacist | 2011/06/15

Hi Angeline

Reply to pharmacist