Question
Posted by: JK | 2009-06-17

Teeth grinding / Bruxism

Hi CS,

Just would like some advice on the following:
I take 1x 20mg Cilift at night and 1/2 Lexamil every other morning
The past month or so I have been grinding me teeth at night in my sleep. My boyfriend is complaining as I' m waking him up. It obviously cannot be good for my teeth and I have already chipped a back molar, which I attribute to the bruxism.

How can I stop this, or how do I tackle this problem?

Tooth-grinding is called Bruxism, if you want to google it, and is a recognized possible side-effect on some antidepressants. Discuss this with your prescribing doc, who should recognize this, and may want to change your meds --- I'm especially not clear why you would need the small dose of lexamil. This may not be a problem if you took a different antidepressant. Otherwise, as this condition also arises spontaneously, it is also dealt with by some dentists, and thy can provide a mouth guard to protect the teeth while you slep. But changing the meds should stop it altogether

3

I was diagnosed as having anxiety issues and depression and in February went on a course of Sulpiride to help with the anxiety. I occassionally still get very anxious. But I like to think that at night time I am pretty relaxed. I could well be dealing with underlying anxiety which I' m not consiously aware of.
I believe I was grinding badly again last night. My bf just nudged me slighty (Not enough to wake me up) and I stopped for a while before continuing again

Posted by: JK | 2009-06-18

Sorry, the post above was from me even though the poster is listed as Anonymous

Reply to JK
Posted by: Liza | 2009-06-17

Do you have a problem with anxiety that is causing the bruxism? Perhaps your meds aren' t enough? As a physical measure you can have a mouthguard made to use while you are sleeping to protect your teeth. This should reduce the noise too. A dentist will be able to advise on this.

Good Luck
Liza

Reply to Liza