Question
Posted by: sharon | 2011-06-23

Teeth

hi

i have a 1 and a half year old chow , she seems to struggle to chew , hard to explain what i mean , but she takes ages to chew her pellets , and even a buscuit , she doesnt seem to have pain , but its almost as if her teeth dont work properly, I have checked her teeth , they are small , but they look fine.
What do you think it can be.

Hi Sharon

I would advise that you visit your local vet and have a thorough check-up. If the chewing appears abnormal then there could be an underlying condition be that physical and/or medical problem.

One medical condition that comes to mind is a disease called Masticatory Muscle Mycositis. This is an inflammatory condition that primarily affects the muscles of mastication. The clinical sign’s may include swelling of the jaw muscles, drooling and pain on opening of the mouth.

Dr Campbell

1
Posted by: Chill | 2011-06-23

You don''t say whether this is a long-term problem, or if it''s something new. You also don''t say whether you''ve changed her diet at any stage, nor how much she''s eating.

The key is firstly, does the dog seem uncomfortable, and second, is she getting enough food to maintain good health? If she is full of beans and playful and alert, and isn''t unduly skinny, then this would indicate that she''s eating enough, and that she may just be a slow eater. If however the chewing seems uncomfortable then I think you should take her to be checked out by your vet, and specially if this is a new or changed thing you are noticing about her.

It''s hard to say what the cause could be, based on the information you supply - in fact, there may not even be a problem at all.

Reply to Chill