Question
Posted by: Stepmom | 2012/04/10

Teens with Food Texture Issue

Hi there,
I am a stepmom to 2 boys, 11 and 15. The 15 year old is an extreme fussy eater and its all about the texture. He eats cereal and 2 min noodles with cheese. WE also make a surprise plate which consists of raw veges, an apple, cold meat and cheese but thats as far as it goes. Even pizza is base with cheese, nothing else. Its breaking my heart to see him eat noodles every night while we eat a heartly meal and think he is definilty lacking variety.

Dear Stepmom
People who have food texture issues do find it very difficult to eat those foods with textures that they abhor. I don't know if the lad has ever been evaluated by a clinical psychologist? In some cases, this type of behaviour could be a type of subconscious protest. It may be a good idea to have him evaluated just in case this aversion to food textures is indicative of other problems. As regards your stepson's nutrient intake, he seems to be eating foods from most food groups, but not much red meat or fish which could lead to iron, zinc, vit B12 and omega-3 deficiencies. Ask your gp to test his body iron levels to make sure that he is not suffering from iron deficiency anaemia, which would suppress his appetite even further
I hope that you can help the lad start eating a varied and balanced diet.

1

Dear Stepmom