Question
Posted by: Magrie | 2010/10/28

Teenager''s weight

Hi Doc,

My daughter turned 13 years old on the 26th of Oct. The school health services has recently been to the school to asses the children and she was told that she should weigh 45 kg for her height of 158cm. Her weight at present is 41kg - is this anything I should be concerned about?

M

Dear Magrie
If both you and your husband are lean, this may be hereditary. She may also have a small bone structure but her body mass index is 16.4 which is regarded as underweight (for her length it should be 18-24)Do you think that she eats enough and eats enough healthy foods?
dr Bets

3
Posted by: Magrie | 2010/10/29

Hi Doc,

My husband was a skinny child aswell. I am trying to increase her meal sizes in the hope that this will work. What else can I try, maybe a tonic?
She is not a big eater

Reply to Magrie
Posted by: Liana | 2010/10/28

I don''t think it is anything to be concerned about as long as she is eating well and is not losing weight. My daughter who is 14 and also 158cm weigh''s 44kg.

Reply to Liana
Posted by: Cyberdoc | 2010/10/28

Dear Magrie
dr Bets