Posted by: Debbie | 2011-07-21

Teenager - Soft spot

Hi there. I need to know if I should be concerned. My 15-year old daughter was an instrument baby at birth. This led to her head being deformed for a few weeks but it eventually returned to normal. A few days ago she discovered a soft spot at the back of her head. It literally feels like a dent in the head cover with skin, no bone. What could cause this? I don''t recall that she had any injuries that could have caused that other than at birth perhaps. Today she sms''s me complaining of headache that extends into her eye. She got an injury underneath her eye a few days ago in an accident while playing. Could this be the cause of the sudden headaches?

It is very important to consult a neuro surgeon for a CT scan of her head. There are small spaces between the growth plates that forms the skull. These plates are especially prominent in small babies and they fuse creating a solid scull. These growth plates should have fused have fused before the age of 15 and therefore, she will have to be examined by a specialist and further tests will have to be done.

It is possible that her symptoms could be due to your finding. Please be so kind as to provide me with feedback.