Posted by: Seeking | 2008-12-15

Teenager feeling sorry for himself

Dear CyberShrink

My son is 10 years old and busy going through his teenage years. He' s very sensitive and emotional. He keeps feeling sorry for himself and saying that me and my husband is against him or asking why are we against him. We really aren' t and we don' t know what to do to assure him or to help him feel less sorry for himself?

My husband is currently in Saudi Arabia so he isn' t here to help me with my son right now. Please can you give me some advise? Does he need more attention, more love? What more can i do, i really try to give him as much love and attention as i can.

I dont know if i' m doing something wrong. Please can you give some general advise on the topic?

Thank you very much.

Normal teenage behaviour ( which tends to start younger nowadays, for many reasons, than it did in your day, or especially compared with your paretns childhoods ) is annoying and frustrating for all concerned. I'm sure you're doing fine. Maybe try to provide MORe love and attention when he is NOT being so sorry for himself, and when he is behavng more in the ways you would want him to ; and a bit less when he is being petulant.

Posted by: Zexeon | 2008-12-16

Teenagers sometimes have their own idea how thinks must work and like to see how far they could press the boundries you have set ect. Perhaps it would be could if you could communicate why he feel about things, say and do or want to do things his way then you could advise him when you strongly believe he is going the wrong way about it and inform him about the possible dangers or out come should proseed and pray for him........

I don' t think you could spoil a child with attention si if you are up to it and he wants it, it might just be good bonding or relationship building however you want to see it.

Sometimes we would do wrong and sometimes right we could also just ask for guidance if not sure. I' m sure you are doing great as most parents won' t deliberately harm their children cause we love them and only want what is best for them, ...........just enjoy him they are gifts from God.

Reply to Zexeon