Posted by: Rika | 2010-09-09

Teenager always fighting

My 13 year old daughter are very angry and always finghting. It feels like she is always looking for something to fight about. If we fight she screams and tell me I''m bad and she can''t wait to get out of the house. It seems like she is always tense. Is there anything I can give her to calm her down, or is it maybe her hormones that is doing it to her. Can you maybe recommend something?

Expert ImageTeen expert

Hi Rika,

it is very common for young people of 13 or so to experience volatile moods, and is in part due to the major hormonal changes taking place.

Becoming a teenager can be very stressful, so it is also important to keep an eye on her emotional well-being too. It is very typical for parents to be disregarded and the peer group becomes more important. However, it is vital to maintain consistent boundaries as if they are tested and broken things will get worse.

If you are worried about her mood or behaviour consider her seeing a child psychologist for an assessment.