Question
Posted by: Confused | 2012/04/20

teenager

I don''t know where to start, yesterday my teenage daugher shouted at me, accusing me that I am abusing her and I love my nephew more than her. These children grew together staying with me, yes I have temper at some point I smack them when they are doing something that I don''t like. But yesterday it was like I was abusing her and she said I don''t buy clothes for her whereas she got clothes but they are too tight now since she gained a lot of wait. When she was seven I was told at school that the boy of her age attempted to rape her, but when I went to the doctor, doctor told me she was not raped. She brought that up yesterday, and she said I gave her a boyfriend because I gave her a cellphone, I was confused , I am still confused. She is turning 18 in June, can you please help me. Last year she did not wright exams and yesterday she said she was faking illness, whereas I lost more than R3000 to try everything to help her.

Unfortunately, teenagers are very apt to get into rages, emotional storms, and to blurt out unpleasant comments that are very hurtful. And they tend to create high drama out of trivial issues. Claiming that not buying her enough clothers is abuse is almost obscene, when compared with genuine abuse. And how does giving her a cell phone somehow equal giving her a boyfriend ? She sounds irresponsible and confused, and heading for ill thought-out decisions that could eventually harm her. Once she turns 18 you may have little legal say in what she does do, so maybe this could be your last chance to intervene. She needs to see a shrink for a proper assessment, and advice on management based on those findings - maybe a psychologist at first.

2
Posted by: Confused | 2012/04/20

Thanx I ''ll try to make an appointment with the psychologist, I hope she will go,because last year I tried several times to take her to the psychologist but she refused. Thanks again

Reply to Confused