Question
Posted by: Portia | 2008/07/23

Teenager

My son is 17 years old, he often suffers from constipation and he also has quite a bad skin. Would probiotics help him in any way

Expert ImageProbiotics expert

Hi Portia
Yes there is some data to indicate that probiotics can assist with constipation in that they help to restore and maintain a healthy balance of so-called “normal flora” or “good bacteria” in the gut. They are “natural” agents so you will not see a response as if you took a medicine, if severe it is best to start with stronger agent just to get things going.
You should check his diet, is he getting enough fibre? Does he eat fruit? Easier said than done with teens I know! Is he exercising regularly?
Constipation may also be “social” or due to stress factors and not necessarily due to diet type factors.
So try to get to the cause of the problem before deciding on how to tackle it!
Skin: no a probiotic is unlikely to help with skin problems. If severe it is best to consult a Dr. as there are ways to help and it is very sensitive at this age.