Question
Posted by: Joan of Arc | 2010/09/02

Teenage use of steroids

Hi CS,

I have a strong suspicion that my son (16) has started injecting steroids. I don''t know how to handle this as he knows that my hb and I don''t approve. We have explained the risks involved many times and had a conversation with him, approaching him from his symptoms point of view, hoping he would admit and we can take it from there, but alas. Should I have him tested, ask him directly, inform his school (he gets it from someone at school), take him to a doctor or what?

You could ask the school whether they are aware of others there possibly involved in this foolish practice ; presumably he is involved in some form of sport that encourages him to want to bulk up ? You could try having a calm discussion about the symptoms you notice and why you are concerned, followed up by a visit to a doctor clued up in advance.
You haven't revealed to us the reasons for your feling so concerned and sure about this, in terms of symptoms and signs, but I'm sure you have researched the issue and know what you have looked for

1