Question
Posted by: TANTRUM | 2008/08/07

Teenage Tantrum

Hi CS, your input please. My fiancé  &  I’ m getting married in 4 month’ s time. We’ ve been living together now for 4 years. He has a 13y old daughter out of wedlock and I have twins 19 yrs old –  one at Varsity and the other one working. We don’ t have one of our own and don’ t plan to have any –  too old (ha-ha). While mine has gone through (I hope) most of their teenage fase, his daughter has just started. She lives with her mom, stays over 1 day in the week with us and also every 2nd weekend. This arrangement works perfectly for years now. Last night her dad made a comment about her hair not looking healthy and that she should stop straightening her hair as it makes it look like straw. This is true as her hair is terribly damaged, dull and straw like. She does visit the hairdresser every 6 weeks but she also highlights her hair which adds to the damage. Being a normal teenager she shouted at him and said that she does not like her curls and that she WILL straighten her hair. She ran out the room and slammed the door. I went up to comfort her by saying that men don’ t understand us women but that she should go for an intense treatment at the salon. She was happy again after a hug &  a kiss and smiling again. After all that she wrote her dad a note to say that she is sick &  tired of him shouting at her, that he only thinks of himself, he never keeps his promises, that everyone says she looks like him (and she is a split image of him) but that she is not like him AT ALL, it is his fault that she is depressed, and this is why her mom left him. She went on to say that all he does is PUSH, PUSH, and PUSH her to study. What she does not understand is why he has to “ push”  her –  because she is in Gr 8 and can’ t study independently. He has to forever nag, beg and plead with her to study. She ALWAYS says she has no homework or that she finished it at aftercare. This might be true but we do not see the results in her exam marks. She is in a remedial school because her mom decided that she needed such a school. Back at the ranch we feel she is too lazy to study and being in a remedial school she should therefore get 70% plus average. She is 40 –  60% average per subject. They are only 10 per class and therefore get 100% individual attention. He is concerned that because of “ spoon feeding”  at school it is making her lazy to study and to think on her own. There was more in the letter but I can’ t remember it all. This left my fiancé  terribly sad - with understanding. He is now too scared to discipline her, which is wrong. He is the parent, he should be telling her what to do, and not visa versa. He did have a talk to her in the morning to reassure her that if he did not love her, he would have left her to do anything. He had the usual, normal conversation with her as most of us who have teenagers have done. She apparently did not say anything. I feel she owes him an apology. He’ s asked me to talk to her. I want sound advice as I don’ t want to say the wrong things as the step-mom can easily become the enemy. I will also post this for the teenage expert.

Not to properly discipline a child should be recognized as a form of child abuse. So encourage him to work with you to formulate the basic rules and guidelines that will operate within your hom, so the child knows what the rules are.
And maybe, having survived the teenage tantrums of your own kids, you can advise him on handling hers. From the sound of it you handled this specific situation very well indeed, and maybe just chat with ehr about how hard it was for your kids, for a while, and for you too, to be a teenager, and gently explore her concerns, making it clar that she can talk with you about any problems that turn up. And explain how and why her father is concerned to get the best for her, including the need for her to do well at school --- something which in latern years she may really wish she had done, at a time when it will be impossible or at least very difficult to do it, compared with now.
And both of you, relax a little --- if a teenager is not painful to be around, at elats now and then, it probably means you're missing something

2
Posted by: Lin | 2008/08/07

Sounds like she has alot of pent uped emotion. She would do well seeing a counsellor and maybe you, as a family, could go for family counselling.
Also remember that she IS a teenager and this is somewhat normal teenage behaviour. The problem comes in that her parents are divorced and it makes it a little bit (much) harder.

Reply to Lin
Posted by: Hairdresser | 2008/08/07

Just a comment on the hair from a hairdresser myself (although I know this isn' t the problem). Straightening your hair everyday does dry out and damge the hair but can be solved with products bought at a local supermarket (cheaper if she has to buy this with her pocket money). Use a protective spray or serum before any heat is applied. hair masks also work great, use once weekly. treatments at salons are very expensive and i would recomend she only goes for one every three months or so. use a nourishing shampoo and conditioner.

Reply to Hairdresser