Question
Posted by: WORRIED MOTHER | 2013-02-17

TEENAGE SON SMOKING DOPE

i''''ve got no idea how to handle this situation...this is the 3rd time we have caught him, the 1st time he was 13 and we found it in his bag, he claimed he got it from a 19 year old kid that did boot camp with him, just because he wanted to have the seeds....a couple of months later he confessed out of his own that he has been smoking for awhile and wants to quit. Last night his father caught him with his 22 year old cousin smoking...He does struggle with depression and is ADHD please tell me what to do!!! Obviously he is promising that he won''''t again, and i am telling him that i trust and beilieve him, but I am not sure...

Treatment for ADHD or depression won't succeed if the person is also smoking marijuana. If he has problems like ADHD and / or depression, hs should be seeing a psychiatrist for a full assessment ( including a frank admission of his use of the drug ) and a discussion of treatment options. Some kids self-medicate with dagga, and it may even help them to feel a bit better. While some have unfortunate side-effects from long-term use, some don't. It needs a personal clinical assessment and discussion to decide the vest way to help this lad

1
Posted by: Pixie | 2013-02-18

Hi Worried

Unfortunately when dealing with someone who is an addict - they will lie and tell you what you want to hear... anything to get you off their backs.The longer this goes on, the more lies and deception there will be.

Is he on treatment for depression?
Do you not think its a good idea to take him to see a drug rehab centre or try show him examples in the media etc of what drugs can do? People usually start on dope and then progress to harder stuff. I know this is not what you want to hear but I have been in a recovery programme for addictions (not drugs) but there are a lot of recovering drug addicts - some who have even clinically died and then the doctors got them going again. Maybe trying the shock factor with your son would help? The problem is that he needs to really want to quit otherwise nothing you say or do will make him seek help

Reply to Pixie