Question
Posted by: Barbara | 2010/04/21

Teenage daughter as a mental block when writing tests

I have recently seen my daughters teacher, she has recently started GR8 and she seems to do well in a class situation but the minute she needs to do a test she becomes totally stressed out and forgets everything resulting in her failing the 1st term ( her marks have gone from 75 to 34%. I am a single mom dealing with an AHDH/Biopolar child as well. Please advise as I don''t want to put her on medication if it can be avoided.

Expert ImageTeen expert

Hi Barbara,

I would suggest that your daughter have an assessment with an educational psychologist who can assess whether there are any specific learning needs, and wil be able to advise on dealing with exam stress and anxiety.

The schoolor your family doctor should be able to recmmend an educational psychologist in your area.

2
Posted by: ADHDude | 2010/05/03

Your child mat also be ADD. Do not be too hestitant to put your child on something like Ritalin. I have been on it for 20 years. It has side effects but my life was over before I was on Ritalin. I am not an expert but I can give you a phone number if you want

Reply to ADHDude
Posted by: Teen expert | 2010/04/21

Hi Barbara,

Reply to Teen expert