Question
Posted by: URSHEE............ | 2010/05/11

Teen wants scooter.

Hi There

Please could you give me some advice,my son just turned 17 and is wanting a scooter for christmas,some friends and family say I should rather buy him a coffin in that case.
He says you cant live your life in constant fear and that he would be very carefull and not drive on big roads.
I dont have a car and its always a battle with lifts,he says he really wants to have his own wheels in matric,thats all he really wants.
What should I do!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!Thank you...........

What should I do!!!

Expert ImageTeen expert

This is always a difficult one, as it is more about safety than independence from a parents point of view. As you say, for him to be able to get around would be great, but you worry about how safe he would be.

Safety is not just about the person on the scooter. In my experience of South African roads many car drivers are not mindful of cyclists and motor cyclists and an accident is often the fault of negligent car drivers rather than the cyclists themselves. Also the standard of car driving in South Africa is very poor with many unlicensed or fraudulently licensed people behind the wheel.

Having said that there are more and more people taking to bikes because of traffic congestion and affordability.

If you do decide to go with the idea I would strongly recommend that he has all the necessary protective gear that will minimise serious injury and he always wears them when on the bike. These include a crash helmet, and proper safety gloves, jacket and pants which these days are kevlar lined and not too heavy. They are not cheap but the monetary and emotional costs of an accident are far higher.

It is a measured risk and one that many people take, but you have to be aware of all the pros and cons before going ahead.

4
Posted by: URSHEE | 2010/05/22

Thank you for all the infomation.It has helped me alot,
I am almost decided,just need to do some serious
thinking though.On a scale of 1 to 10 I would say I m
about 8 out of 10 closer to allowing my son a scooter.

Reply to URSHEE
Posted by: biker | 2010/05/14

hi there

i got my first bike when i was only nine, there is nothing wrong with it i am now twenty one and still going strong. He should just keep in mind that although it is extremely fun, it is not a toy and should be respected the whole time, go to any biker and ask them what is the most important rule of riding a bike and the answer will always be the same... respect your bike!!!! also just tell him to keep in mind that he should not only drive for himself but for every car around him, he should keep a constant eye on other cars and there way of driving if he only drives with these to rules in mind he should be as safe as a whistle and you can go ahead and get him a scooter.

hope it helps

Reply to biker
Posted by: rider | 2010/05/13

If you can afford to buy him a scooter then go for it, but i would suggest to include a course where they can teach him some riding skills to help with avoiding possible accidents.

Nothing wrong with having 2wheels as a means of transport, it is fun and he can come and go without any fuss.

Make sure that he wears protected clothing it will help to prevent serious roasties.

Reply to rider
Posted by: Teen expert | 2010/05/11

Reply to Teen expert