Question
Posted by: sandra | 2010-01-22

teen rude to 5year old sister

I am at my wits end. My teenage son adored his little 5 year old sister until a new brother came along. He is 17, sister5 and brother 8 months. He fights with her and is very rude to her. She now disobeys him and never listens to him which makes it worse. She is constantly trying to get his attention and to please him. without any success. He went away for a weekend and she missed him tremedously. when he returned he announced that he only missed the baby and not her. which completely broke her heart. he then said it was a joke. please help.

Expert ImageTeen expert

It sounds as if your eldest is feeling a bit pushed out by the new arrival, and at 8 months he is a bit young to take it out on, so unfortunately your daughter is in the firing line.

I would suggest speaking to your son about how he feels about the new baby. It is often expected of siblings to be happy about a new sibling, but this is often far from the case. Let him know he is loved just as much now as he ever was and nothing will change that. It is also worth letting him know that his sister is hurt by his actions and he needs to think about improving things with her.

1
Posted by: Teen expert | 2010-02-08

Reply to Teen expert