Question
Posted by: Jane | 2010/07/12

Teen Relationship

My teenage daughter has a relationship with someone she has only spoken with over the phone. They also chat on Facebook and mixit. He is quite a bit older than her. An adult to be exact and is also a diffrerent race, religion and culture. I have discussed this relationship and aired my concerns but she still seems committed to this person. She does have friends girls and boys and I have told her that it is important to have friends that she can actually converse with face to face. She is an attractive girl and has many boys interested in her however she still hangs on to this person. He lives in another province and has made several fruitless promises to meet her. She has told me that she is giving him a year. If he does not make the effort to meet her she will break up with him. Really need some advise.

Relationships based entirely on these essentially artificial media are always naive and rarely successful. And of course the unseen partner has the advantage that he can SEEM to be abything he chooses - and equally important, anything she chooses to imagine. In some ways, these are modern equivalents of the Imaginary Friends kids used to have, based on fantasy and wishing, rather than reality. And adoelscents really need to understand and deal with reality.

2
Posted by: mother | 2010/07/13

please investigate this guy, there''s something fishy about him! Before it is too late! take matters into your own hands - for your daughter''s sake!

Reply to mother