Question
Posted by: URSHEE | 2011/03/05

TEEN NOT LOSING WEIGHT

HI> My daughter is 15yrs Tall and ways 84kg.She has been tryling to loose weight for over a month and has picked up a kg
She is on the G.I Lean Shake for lunch and has raken the booster caps and detox caps,I take her for a 30min jog 4 to 5 times a week,still no luck, she is eating healthy,what to do,When I was over weight I exercised and ate healthy and lost 1kg a week ,with no problems,do you think she has a thyroid problem?

Thank you> 

Dear Urshee
The average weight and height of 15-year-old girls is 55 kg and 163 cm, so if your daughter weighs 84 kg then she must be very overweight. The use of slimming pills and shakes in teenagers is not a good idea because these products can interfere with normal growth. I would urge you to take your daughter to see a registered dietitian (visit the Association for Dietetics in SA Website at: www.adsa.org.za and click on "Find a Dietitian" to find a dietitian in your area), so that the dietitian can assess her present weight, dietary intake and health. The dietitian will provide her with a slimming diet that will help her to lose weight, but still allow her to grow normally. The dietitian will also advise if she requires any tests (e.g. thyroid or insulin levels). The use of physical activity (playing sport, brisk walking, swimming, cycling or attending a gym or Walk for Life) is regarded as an essential component for weightloss in teenagers. Please ensure that your lassie becomes more active and does at least 30 min or more of exercise every day.
The first and most important step in helping your daughter is for her to see a dietitian.

1

Dear Urshee