Question
Posted by: Gail | 2010/07/20

Teen Growing pains?

My 15 yr old son, very thin, has been complaining of pains in his legs for quite some time, the latest is that he is sore to the touch on his shin, just above the ankle, for no apparent reason. His bones also seem to have a slight protrusion to the outside (just under the knee) which one can feel. When are aches (seemingly in the bone) just growing pains (if there really is such a thing!) and when does it warrant further investigation?

Expert ImageOrthopaedic Specialist Forum

i have passed your question on to one of our specialists on the forum and I am sure you will receive a reply soon

2
Posted by: Dr Jl Crane Orthopaedic specialist | 2010/08/03

Dear Gail

Growing pains are caused when strong tendons pull on the weaker growth plates, this is very common after physical exercise. This condition is self limiting and stops when your son stops growing. Under the knees and heels are very common sites. What is not normal is when there is pain without exercise, redness, fever, weight loss and localized pain. This could represent infection or a abnormal growth. your sons condition does sound like growing pains, but a simple x-ray can rule out all the other possibilities.

Kind regards

Jason Crane

Reply to Dr Jl Crane Orthopaedic specialist
Posted by: Orthopaedic Specialist Forum | 2010/07/29

Reply to Orthopaedic Specialist Forum