Posted by: MLS | 2008-11-06

teen feeling depressed

My 16 yr old daughter did her piano practical exam about a week ago. Although she practised very hard and put everything into her preparation, her nerves got the better of her and it did not go as well as she expected. Although she has not yet received the results, she is convinced that she failed the exam and she is feeling disapointed and angry with herself. She seems unable to cry, which I think may relieve her feelings. She is due to start her academic exams next week and she seems to think that she is unable to do well in anything despite her hard work throughout the year. She is extremely bright and usually achieves excellent results. Her feelings of worthlessness and her hopeless outlook do worry me. What can I do to help her?

Expert ImageTeen expert

Hi there,

from your description it sounds as if slef-esteem and then performnace anxiety tend to overwhelm your daughter at times and she may benefit from a brief period of therapy for anxiety management. A psychologist who specialises in cognitive behaviour therapy (CBT) would be able to assist her in managing her anxiety at important times so that she can perform to the best of her ability.

If you contact your family doctor they should have a list of psychologists they recommend in the local area. For yourself, letting her know you believe in her and that she can and does do well will help boost her confidence.

best wishes