Question
Posted by: URSHEE | 2010/08/23

Teen Diet Plan

My daughter is 14yrs and needs to lose some weight,she is about 1''57m tall takes a size 7 shoe and weighs 83kg.
how much should she weigh? She is a big girl and plays sport we are just batteling to get thase kgs off.This is a weekly daily plan of what she eats on a average,wkends are a little slack but during the week I m very strict on healthy eating. Can you please advice me if thats correct or if we need to change the plan.
BREAKFAST:2 weetbix &  milk,1 egg,bowl of fruit(pawpaw or orange)cup of green tea
SCHOOL LUNCH:1 peanut butter sandwich,1 lettuce& ham sandwich(wholewheat bread)1 apple &  bran muffin or a jungle oats snack bar.bottle of water.(She is at school from 7.30 to about 3pm or 5pm just depending if there is sport)
Maybe a snack if she gets home early like 1 slice bread with p.butter.
SUPPER:Brown rice,pork chops& vegies.OR
Wholewheat spagetti bolanaise& vegiesOR
Mash potatoe &  chicken curry& veg OR
Brown rice,mince& vegOR
Brown rice,baked beans & meatballs & veg
Thats about it.And maybe if you can give me some tips on other form of exersise at home.Thank you

Dear Urshee
Your lassie is indeed overweight with a BMI = 33.7. For her height she should weigh approx. 49 kg to be within the normal range. Because she has such a large amount of weight to lose at a very young age (34 kg), I urge you to take her to a registered dietitian (visit the Association for Dietetics in SA Website at: www.adsa.org.za and click on "Find a Dietitian" to find a dietitian in your area). The dietitian will have to assess her weight and growth and then provide her with an individual diet prescription which may be based on a low-fat, low-glycaemic index (GI) diet which will not only help her lose weight, but will also provide her with all the nutrients she needs for normal growth. The dietitian will also have to check the portions she eats and make suggestions as to how she can reduce her energy intake. The best and cheapest forms of home exercise are: skipping or brisk walking for at least 30 min or more a day. Let het start slowly and increase how much exercise she does as she gets fitter and loses weight.
For her sake, please take your daughter to see the dietitian.

2
Posted by: URSHEE | 2010/08/25

Sorry I got the height wrong its 1,7m.What shoiul that mean now for her BMI.

Reply to URSHEE

Dear Urshee