Question
Posted by: URSHEE | 2011/07/07

TEEN and DAGGA

Hi There,
I have a son that has just turned 18yrs, and in matric.
first I found out that he has started smoking,and now have just found out that he is smoking dagga with friends,that are all sporty guys and he also goes to gym, I have spoken to him and he says I must just chill.
How am I sopose to handle this.I cant believe this is happening. I have tried to stay calm until I can get expert advice.
Thank you.

Expert ImageTeen expert

Hi there,

what is important here is whether this is experimentation or more heavy use. Smoking dagga whilst trying to study for matric is a very bad idea. It affects concentration, motivation and short-term memory. You are well within your rights as a parent to be clear that this is not acceptable and although he may not realise it, it can have very adverse effects on his matric and consequently his future.

For further advice you can contact an organisation such as the Cape Town Drug Counselling Centre - their website address is www.drugcentre.org.za

2
Posted by: Teen expert | 2011/07/22

Hi there,

Reply to Teen expert
Posted by: Faye | 2011/07/12

My little brother started smoking pot at 16 and it progressed. He lost most of his common sense for many years, and nothing I said or did got trhough to him. After having a baby at age 25, he managed to slowly turn things around. He struggles tremendously to get through the day without it, but he had to go through a near-death experience to wake up. Pot impairs the brain, thinking etc and If I could do it again, I would force him into rehab.

Reply to Faye