Question
Posted by: Elri | 2010-02-18

Tear of ligament, etc

My daughter 15yr old, injured her ankle on Tuesday night. Sonar showed following:
A full thickness tear of the anterior talo-fibular ligament.
Calceneo-fibular ligament intact. Remaining in tact.
Xray showed no fracture, but mentions some loss or parallelism of articular surfaces.

She is wearing moonboot and GP first thougt operation would be neccesary, but this morning afte he spoke telephonically to orthop. surgeon he said no op needed. First she must wear moonboot for 4 weeks and not remove boot for first week. Physio after that and then if still problem, operation then as it is just a " mushy"  state at moment.
I would like to know if your opinion is the same or if a visit to specialist is needed. I do not wish her to have trouble with it later on esp. as she is paying hockey as sport.
The report also concludes with " Ankle joint effusion" . What does this mean and what has to be done, and how serious is this. On sonar RT ATF Region: TRANS and LONG there was what the technician could not identify sort of an oval shape of 4.1mm?? Is that joint effusion or what is it? Thank you very much

Elri

Expert ImageOrthopaedic Specialist Forum

Dear Elri,

it sounds as if the advice given to you was correct.
"Effusion" in the ankle joint simply means there is some fluid in the joint following the injury and that per se is of no consequence. The one concern is that in children the ligaments are less commonly injured than the adjacent growth plates and it would not be a bad idea to have a specialist look at it

REards,

Dr Joe de Beer

1
Posted by: Orthopaedic Specialist Forum | 2010-02-18

Dear Elri,

REards,

Dr Joe de Beer

Reply to Orthopaedic Specialist Forum