Question
Posted by: john | 2011-11-06

tea fast

This December I am planning to spend a month on tea only. Books on juice fasting or Master Cleanse recommend taking regular enemas. Instead if I take large dose of castor oil, 50-100 ml, at say 3 day intervals, until my guts are completely empty, would that be OK?

Dear John
As a dietitian I cannot condone prolonged fasting combined with taking a strong purgative such as castor oil at a dose of up to 100 ml every 3 days because this type of regimen can be injurious to health. The repeated use of harsh laxatives can result in the loss of normal bowel function, severe dehydration and loss of vital electrolytes such as potassium, sodium, magnesium and calcium and in some cases can trigger such severe electrolyte imbalances that they can be fatal. Your decision to only drink tea can also lead to pronounced deficiencies of all the nutrients we require to function efficiently and remain healthy. I would recommend that you discuss this proposed regimen with your medical doctor before you cause permanent harm to your health.
Take great care

1
Posted by: DietDoc | 2011-11-07

Dear John
Take great care