Question
Posted by: john | 2011-06-03

tea cleanse

Nowadays there is a lot of interest in the master cleanse or the lemonade diet. Without knowing about this I had come up with something similar. I would drink tea and water and consume some sugar when I found my energy flagging. The sugar provided the energy in place of the maple syrup. And I am sure I would not have liked the cayenne pepper. Staying on this for 3 to 4 weeks would give me noticeable weight loss. Two such 3 weeks back to back and people would be amazed.

Now reading about the cleanse, at least one person has been on the cleanse for slightly more than a year. The longest I have spent on tea is 25 days, but reading that people have spent much longer on the cleanse I want to try staying on tea for a longer period. How long would be safe?

Dear John
As a dietitian, I cannot condone any type of starvation diet such as this so-called 'lemonade diet' or your own tea and sugar diet. The problem with this type of regimen is that if you only drink black tea and have a bit of sugar every now and then to boost your flagging energy (as you put it), you are at risk of developing deficiencies in all the known nutrients - protein, essential fatty acids, vitamins, and minerals. I am sure you do lose dramatic amounts of weight because of the highly reduced energy intake associated with this regimen, but you may cause irreparable harm to your body and health. I would rather recommend that you lose weight with the aid of an energy-reduced, balanced diet that still contains all the food groups and thus all the vital nutrients we need to function properly and stay healthy. Combining a well planned slimming diet with regular daily exercise will promote steady weightloss, without the danger of deficiencies.
Take great care

2
Posted by: Healthy 101 | 2011-06-06

Hi All

Thank you DietDoc for your your comment. I have tried all kinds of crash diets and none had lasting results. Instead your body becomes weak and these diets have a negative effect on you immune system because you are not getting enough nutrients. Yes you do loose weight but it comes back again at a speed of lightning.

In June 2010 I weighed 74KG 12 months later, I am 63.5KG. All I did was changing my diet by cutting down all junk, processed and fast foods. I added more fruit and vegetables (in the right portions), water and regular exercise. All of this I got from this site''s Diet and Nutrition pages. At first I was very impatient but as time went by it became a lifestyle. I have never been so happy with my body and I am not even anxious about gaining again because I lost this weight over time and all I do now is keeping a healthy and active lifestyle to maintain it.

Guys all these crash diets are waste of time and affect us emotionally and put our health at risk. Eat right, live a balanced life, exercise and get enough sleep and you will not need a crash diet.

Thank You

Reply to Healthy 101
Posted by: DietDoc | 2011-06-03

Dear John
Take great care