Question
Posted by: hanlie | 2008/06/19

tea

my daughter have a 20 month old baby she only give her ceylon tea with milk and sugar to drink day and night. how much caff ien is in ceylon tea what is the health risk on only drinking ceylon tea when she visit us I give her rooibos tea with little suger no milkthat help her to calm down

Dear Hanlie
Tea contains about half of the caffeine a cup of coffee would contain (40mg of caffeine). It is not good to give children too many sugary drinks as it definitely causes severe tooth decay at an early age. The caffeine can also be a stimulant keeping her awake. Rooibos tea contains no caffeine and also is a good source of fluoride which is good for developing teeth. A child her age should rather drink water or rooibos tea than fruit juices ( high sugar and acid content) coffee or ceylon tea.