Posted by: Anne | 2012-11-07

I have posted this with the fertility expert too, but would like more than one opinion if possible. I see there is no Oncology expert on your panel, so I am hoping you might be able to assist.

My husband was diagnosed with TC a couple of years ago. He had an operation where one testicle was removed. The doctor who did the operation told us that we won’ t be able to have any children after this. We went to see a fertility specialist that told us that although my husband didn’ t have a lot of sperm we would be able to conceive using IVF. Which we did and now we have a healthy boy (15 months). Unfortunately about a year ago my husband’ s cancer was back and it moved to the glands. He had an operation to remove the tumour and had to undergo chemo afterwards. Before he started chemo we went to the fertility clinic to bank sperm as we knew that it would be destroyed with the chemo. But there were no sperm.
The Oncologist told my husband that the sperm might return after a while, but I am worried that this might not be the case as he was sterile before the chemo.
We thank God every day for our little boy, but would love to have another baby if in any way possible.
Please would you let me have your views on this?
Thank you.

If you do not want to use donor sperm, you should give your husband some time after his treatment (maybe a year or so), before doing a sperm count. If you are really pressed for time, your only option will be to use donor sperm and IVF.