Posted by: Susan | 2011-11-22

TB Meningitis

Hi there,

Yesterday I went to the dr and in the dr''s rooms in a different room was a patient that was in a coma due to TB Meningitis. I was just wondering if the doctor saw him, put a drip on him and was in close contact and afterwards saw me.

Is there a chance that I can get infected with TB Meningitis?

How contagious is it?

The Dr. said that you will most likely get the TB and not the Meningitis is this true?

Is TB Meningitis different to normal meningitis?

Please can you give me some advice. I am scared to bits.

There is no chance that you will get infected with tuberculosis in such a way. TB Meningitis is a secondary disease process, where a patient has primary tuberculosis of the lungs and the disease progressed over an extended period of time to erode into the blood vessels and settles in the meningal space in the central nervous system.