Question
Posted by: Palesa | 2010/11/16

TB care

Hi, my father as recently diagnosed with TB, and has started his treatment. he lives alone, and I worry about whether he will be okay on his own. I have three children under 8 and have thought of asking him to move in with us, but worry about the infectiousness of TB esp in the beginning. How long will it take for him to get his strength back? How long will he be infectious for, and how can I ensure that he really stick to the programme for the six months, esp once he starts feeling better? He''s got neighbors who have promised to check on him, but not sure what I should do. Would appreciate your input. Thanks, Palesa.

Hallo Palesa
When a TB patient starts taking their TB medication, they become non-infectious within the first week or two, as long as they take their medication regularly. The best way to treat a TB patient is to have someone to give his medication daily AND check that he takes his medication every day to prevent resistant TB developing. They need to eat enough and healthy food to be able to build up their strength. You should try to get someone to check that he takes his medication and to ensure that he eats at least one well balanced meal per day.
dr Bets

1
Posted by: Cyberdoc | 2010/11/16

Hallo Palesa
dr Bets