Posted by: Concerned | 2009-09-08

I have a domestic worker who has been in hospital for approximately 1,5 weeks. We were told that she was severly anaemic with a level of 2, she was suffering from Malnutrition and that her liver was not in a good way. She stayed in hospital on a drip for a day and was then sent home with medication. A day later she was still not well and we took her back to hospital. She has been in hospital now for a week. She has now been told that she has Tubercolosis and that she will need to be on medication for 6 months. She is still on a drip in the hospital and is given painkillers daily. She tells me that she can' t walk and that she' s still very weak. As she works for me I am anxious to know when she will be back or if she will be back. The doctors seem reluctant to give any diagnosis, even to her. I am almost sure that she has HIV although they haven' t said that but have alluded to the fact. Any idea what may be going on. She is 29 years old.

Dear Concerned
It is very difficult to guess what her diagnosis may be but the TB facts fit together. Ask her to request a sickleave letter from her doctor, this will give you an idea of how long she will be off work - but according to your description my guess is that she may need sickleave for at least for 6 weeks. People on TB treatment is not infectious and she can come back to work while on treatment.