Posted by: Maria | 2009-02-16

Taurine &  HIV+ Cat

Please could you let me know - what is the minimum requirement of taurine for cats? What should I look for on cat food labels for taurine &  other components - wet &  dry?

I have a 9 year old female pavement special who was near death recently &  diagnosed with feline aids. All the stops are being pulled out to help her survive with a quality life (she' s doing well at the moment). Any advice whatsoever will be greatly appreciated. I have spent many hours on the internet gaining infor but obviously most of it is overseas related.

Could you also advise as to the availability of taurine tablets in SA? She loves tuna for humans - but as this has no taurine content for her it' s extremely worrying ( adding to the many other concerns we have).

Many thanks

Dear Maria

Most good quality cat food have enough taurine in and I'm not sure what the daily intake should be. Other components in good cat food is so complex that I cannot give you any answers here. Best to do research on the internet.