Question
Posted by: Sharai | 2012/02/06

Targeting the waistline when already on diet

I''ve been on a strict diet for over a year now. I am at a weight I am happy with. 48kg, 5 foot 2. However, I would still like to slim down my waistline. Everything I''ve looked at so far says you can''t target it effectively through exercise, yet I cannot cut out any more calories and eat healthier food and drink more water than I do at this point. Is there anything I can do through exercise to help at all?

Hi Sharai

Over time, if the diet is good and the exercise is regular, consistent and sufficient, those things will all "correct" themselves, in the sense that they'll balance out. We do all struggle with specific areas, and it sounds like yours is the waist/hips/stomach, and so this is a stubborn problem that you can't overcome simply by targeting that area, you're right. However, once you're at the ideal weight, then these very subtle body changes do happen over time, but they happen very, very slowly, and they require the diet and exercise to be maintained for very long. I guess what I'm saying is that having hit this weight, the next step of "progress" you'll see is reshaping, but only if you train and eat as well as you have for even longer.

In terms of exercise, having said that you don't lose fat mass in specific areas by targeting them, you can reshape areas by targeting them (most obvious - the arms where you can get a lean, defined apparance). So I would say you should be doing some weights, situps, Pilates etc to help with posture and toning. But this takes time, and unfortunately, a lot of it!

Ross

1
Posted by: fitnessdoc | 2012/02/17

Hi Sharai

Ross

Reply to fitnessdoc