Question
Posted by: PANIC | 2012/08/28

tAPERING OFF RIVOTRIL FOR ANXIETY

Good Afternoon,
I am so sorry to have to place my question here , but my physiatrist is not available over the phone and will only be able to get an appointment in two weeks time again.
I started tapering off the Rivotril 0.5, by taking half a tablet in the morning and half a tablet in the evenings for 10 days, then I took a quarter in the mornings and a half at night for 10 days, then I took a quarter in the morning and a quarter at night for 10 days and now I can’ t remember must I just take a quarter in the mornings for 10 days or just a quarter at night for 10 days, please could you give me your advice /opinion, I will be truly grateful. I am extremely sensitive to any and all medication, hence the reason for taking so long.

Thank-you very much

Any doctor should, except perhaps briefly during emergencies, always be available by phone, perhaps via a message to his receptionist, or covered by a named locum. I don't believe any psychiatrist could, as a health professional, simply decide not to be available by phone, either. I don't understand why someone would choose to prescribe Rivotril for anxiety rather than other more recognized treatments.
The particular recipe or plan for reducing the usage of this particular drug is presumably his own ; there are no widely recognized plans for this which we might all use.
Apparently your doubt is whether in this last 10 days you should take the last quarter tablet in the mornings or in the evenings. I doubt that it would matter much which it was. At night it might help you to sleep if that is still a problem ; but either should do.
Otherwise, if in doubt, you could stick at your present dose until you are able top speak to your psychiatrist and get his decision on the matter

1