Posted by: Susan | 2012-11-20

Tapering Off

Dear Doc, so after your advise the other day, I have spoken to my psychiatrist and even though it took a while for me to get hold of her, she had the following to say. She still does not think that the Zoloft is making me ill (this is the only med I am on). So I said to her it made depressed (I suffer from anxiety) and she just kept quiet???? So anyway, i went to my GP and explained to him how I am feeling and he said it is obvious that I am not really tolerating the meds. He suggested I come off them and my psychiatrist was informed, but still she wanted me to stay on this! I have been on 25mg for 1 week and 2 days, and 50mg for 2 weeks. He said I should taper off as follow, please could you advise, as he and my psycgiaqtrist said it is ok:

I must half my dose again to 25mg and take it like that for 5-7 days.
Then I must half that dose to 12.5mg and take it like that for 5-7 days.
After this i must stop.

I just wanted to hear your thoughts on this as I would really not like to get some funny side effects yet again trying to get off this drug I should not have taken in the first place. I am also chenging psychiatrist due to the fact that I can never get a hold of mine.

Thank you so so much for you advise thus far, it means a great deal to know there is actually someone out there listening.

Like all antidepressants, ZOloft may not work well to relieve depression or anxiety in any individual, but it usually doesn't have the ability to make one more depressed. Setting the meds aside, are there not perhaps events in your real world life which are making you both anxious and depressed, and which need to be dealt with in their own right ?
I have no idea why your psychiatrist would be so devoted to wanting you to stay on Zoloft despite it obviously not being helpful to you - there are so many alternatives to choose from !
Your GP has advised you to come off them, and suggested a plan for doing so - take his or her advice. Please stop second-guessing everything your docs say and advise. If every answer you get from any of them needs to be checked out with someone else, you'll never get a settled plan of action.
If you feel concerned at how hard it was to contact your psychiatrist when you were alarmed, changing to a different shrink is your right.

Posted by: Razali | 2012-11-27

You could certainly see your erpextise in the paintings you write. The arena hopes for more passionate writers like you who are not afraid to say how they believe. Always follow your heart. What power has law where only money rules. by Gaius Petronius.

Reply to Razali